Friday, May 20, 2011

Birding Magee Marsh

I am wishing GOOD LUCK to Animal Kingdom, he is running in the 136 Preakness here in Baltimore Maryland today. I would love to see a Triple Crown winner this year. It's been too long since we had Triple Crown Winner.  GO Animal Kingdom.

For my Camera Critters post I am showing some of the birds I saw at Magee Marsh, Ohio last weekend. I went with a couple of friends from my birdclub. I was amazed with Magee Marsh and I would highly recommend to anyone that is into birding that they visit Magee Marsh during the spring migration.


My first lifer was the Common Moorhen, it was seen the first evening we arrived at the Metzger Marsh.

The next day on the boardwalk we saw the Common Nighthawk resting on a tree branch. The nighthawk was another lifer for me.

Also seen the second day on the Magee Marsh boardwalk the American Woodcock another lifer for me. It is a cute bird with big eyes.

Not the greatest photo but this is the Mourning Warbler, another lifer for me.
Another lifer the Whip-poor-will, he is hiding down below in between the leaves. A great sighting for me even if it is hiding in the leaves and sticks. Look for the white spots mixed in with the brown feathers. Once in awhile it would open its eyes.

Another lifer on the Magee Marsh boardwalk the Blackpoll Warbler


A pretty female Prothonotary Warbler at the nest.

A gorgeous male Prothonotary warbler, this warbler looks similiar to the Yellow Warbler but the male Yellow Warbler has red streaks going down the front of his chest.



Peeping around the leaves is the male Yellow Warbler showing the red streaks on his chest.

 I was happy to pick up another lifer with this Chestnut Sided Warbler


This beautiful barn owl is a captive bird but still very cool to see at the visitors center. I would love to add this owl to my life list by seeing one in the wild.


I am still going over my list of birds from our Magee Marsh trip and adding up my lifers. I believe I was able to add ten new lifers to my life list.

I hope you enjoyed my birds and to see more wonderful and cute critters please visit Misty Dawn's Camera Critters.  Thanks to Misty for hosting and thanks for visiting my blog and post. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

34 comments:

  1. I liked the bright, yellow warbler pictures the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Eileen... You have really gotten to see alot of 'lifers' recently... What is your total now????? I'm so impressed...

    Love that sweet little barn owl. Loved the Chestnut Sided Warbler, and the Prothotonary Warbler... Gorgeous.

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. that brilliant yellow warbler - whew! :)

    the nighthawk was neat too! just sitting there letting you take its picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were lucky to see so many new birds. I love the yellow warbler and the barn owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many interesting birds,and that owl,wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You saw some nice birds out there. It's a shame they don't cooperate a bit more with posing!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the lifers! Very nice photo series Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eileen, What a nice grouping of photographs! My favorite is the Chestnut-sided Warbler. I have never seen one before. Have a super nice Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed the photos, and it's great you could add 10 new lifers in one trip!
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - so many wonderful birds! And that owl shot is magical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never seen a Common Moorhen before...I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a successful weekend of birding, Eileen! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great hike !! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my , these are some beautiful birds I have ever seen virtually Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nature is fascinating. It is soothing to be looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. !LOVE! the warbler photos!!

    Sorry, I'm so late getting around...I know you visited with me earlier this week at my Camera Critters blog...much appreciated.

    Hope your week has treated you well!!!

    My Sunday Post...'ribbit'!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great variety of shots of the birds in the marsh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been so busy! I am content to figure out the birds around here. New house, new birds!
    Cheers from S.E. Ontario Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Well Done with all those lifers Eileen and those Prothonotary Warblers are extra special birds aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful time you had in Magee Marsh, so many of them. Wonderful series.

    ReplyDelete
  21. it would certainly be nice to visit some of your places. Congrats to the lifers.
    The moorhen we have similar ones, but I am not sure if it is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very productive visit Eileen. Congrats on the lifers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What amazing photographs!!! Thanks so much for visiting and for your sweet comments!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love birds and you captured some great ones with your lens!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful place to visit! Lots of beautiful birds. Great captures.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've captured those birds beautifully...

    Thanks for dropping by

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the photo of the owl! What unusual birds they are. Congrats on your lifers --you are fortunate to have such a long list of birds that you've observed in your life/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Eileen..those Warblers (especially the yellow with the leaves) are my favorite!! Love the Barn Owl..really nice share. Wishing you a terrific week-

    ReplyDelete
  29. That was an incredibly productive outing. To see so many lifers in one trip; outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Amazing photos. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sorry bout the horse race! But I'd drown my sorrows at that marsh anytime!!! What a beautiful post -- wonderful migrating birds. Wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How did I miss this fabulous post?!!! Okay, if I start being specific about what I envy you for, I'll just be repeating the name of every bird in you post-lol! So I will just say:
    Oh maaaannnnnn!
    :)
    meggs.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cool! Bet we passed each other on the boardwalk.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh wow, Eileen I love your shot of the barn owl. I too would love to see one in the wild.
    You have birds in your area that I never see here, it's always fun to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...