Friday, May 28, 2010

My backyard birds and their habitat

This is my Nature Notes post and to see more click on my link and visit Michelle's Rambling Woods


Being a birder I like to attract different birds to my yard. I have landscaped the yard to attract birds with trees, bushes, brush piles and water. The blueberry bushes are a big hit with the birds, especially the Mockingbird and the Catbird. The pond is great for the birds to get drinks, take baths and there are lots of frogs and dragonflies. Besides the ponds I have a few birdbaths set up and one heated one for the winter. Different flowering plants attract the hummingbirds and the purple coneflowers are favorites of the Goldfinches. The butterfly bushes are wonderful attracting different species of butterflies and the hummingbirds and moths. The trees and bushes are great for the birds to nest and hide in from predators. Just last night I watched a Great Crested Flycatcher fly off with a clump of my Goldie Girls hair, I think it was taking it to a nest in the woods next to my house.


The rhododendron bushes are great places for the birds to hide and build their nest.


We use to have goldfish and have seen Hawks fly away with some of our fish.



The catbird  likes the pond


The catbird should be happy with these blueberries when they are ripe


I also planted Blackberry bushes, Holly bushes, Winterberry and we have some wild berry bushes growing.



This Wigelia is a favorite of the Ruby Throated Hummingbird


My weeping cherry tree seems to be a perfect spot for the birds to land and rest






Provide housing for the birds to nest

Offering seed and food
The cardinals make nice adopted parents


Plenty of trees for nesting and pinecones for seeds in the winter

                               Bird houses and butterfly bushes



This is my backyard habitat for the birds and other wildlife that visit my yard. Thanks for stopping by my blog

To see more critters and animals visit The Friday Ark and Camera Critters

23 comments:

  1. Lovely garden - a real sanctuary for your local birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have just started trying to make our grounds more attractive to birds. We don't have a great variety yet but those who show up are appreciative.

    Great photos. It looks like you have done a lot of work in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If everyone did that we would have a wonderful world.
    You have a big variety of birds in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like you have a wonderful haven for wlidlife there

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all fantastic shots. We had a similar idea for nature notes this week. I'm amazing at how well you captured the hummer. They are so hard to photograph. All of the shots are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your backyard is a heaven of birds and a heaven of a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is beautiful, the ideal home for all those lovely birds your photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks lime the birds should be very happy at your yard.Watching birds and nature in general is so interesting.
    Blessings,Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it seems that your yard is fit for many wildlife visitors and it is always such fun to attract them with natural beauty as you have done. Thanks for the sharing your world with us~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extraordinarily beautiful. I learned a lot from this post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You yard is what I hope mine will be one day...just perfect for the wildlife.. love the pond.. I am never happy seeing a bird parent a cowbird especially a cardinal as I don't have many here...Also the song sparrows and the chipping sparrows take a turn here....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. thats a lovely place to be, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a lovely garden Eillen but also a good understanding of how birds both use the variety of plants and benefit from them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Eileen,

    These faboulous photos show that you have created a true heaven in your backyard!

    Best regards,

    Müge

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a lovely post. Your backyard is lovely, and you have made it a wonderful place for the birds to visit, plus it looks like a great place for you to go to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your backyard is the envy of most! But I know it took a lot of hard work. ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've attracted a wonderful variety of birds. I wish we had hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eileen: Beautiful place to draw your birds into the area.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a beautiful backyard, Eileen.I can sit there all day watching the beautiful birds. You really did a good job creating you backyard into a great habitat for birds. I am planting native plants both in our front yard and backyard to attract native birds too. Beautiful photo and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful birds...
    They look happy in your wonderful back yard :)

    http://thehappyfamilies.blogspot.com/2010/05/fly.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your bird photos Eileen, they're always breathtaking! I wish I could do such a good job with my bird photos, but I'll need a bigger zoom lens for that lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful gathering of birds. My cats would love to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad I scrolled down this far. Your yard is a wonderful place for the birds and such that spend time there.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...